College of Liberal Arts and Sciences students with a declared major are advised by professional staff advisors and faculty advisors after completing 24 semester hours (s.h.) of credit. For more information or to find your advisor, visit the CLAS Advising Network.
All first-semester students and students with less than 24 semester hours are advised in the Academic Advising Center. The center’s team of advisors specializes in transitioning students to academic and student life at Iowa, and help each student plan for a successful academic start at Iowa.
Academic advising questions for students who have earned 24 semester hours or more can be directed to:
Our departmental advisors can help you with the following:
- Advisor signatures on add/drop and other university forms
- Questions about course registration
- Questions or problems with your degree audit
- Academic planning and progress toward graduation
- Academic probation
- Review of study abroad courses for major credit
- Opportunities for Honors students and information about departmental honors
- Choosing a second area of study and other discussions regarding adding second majors, minors, and certificate programs
- Information regarding campus resources for students
- Other questions or concerns you may have
For additional questions about undergraduate studies, students may also contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies for the Department of American Studies: